Join Sigma Phi Omega!
The International Academic Honor and Professional Society in Gerontology, recognizes excellence in gerontology and aging. SPO promotes scholarship, professionalism, friendship, and service to older persons!
SPO has more than 1,500 members and over 80 local chapters at campuses across the United States! Going strong since 1980!
Why become a member Of Sigma Phi Omega?
- Members associated with excellence in the field of aging
- Members identified (e.g., on resume, at graduation with medallion & cord) as having academic excellence
- Members provided with opportunities for leadership (e.g., board membership – local and national)
- Members provided with opportunities for additional recognition of academic excellence (via President’s Paper award)
- Members provided with opportunities for participation in and recognition of civic engagement (via volunteering, service projects, service-learning, association undergraduate and graduate service awards)
- Member newsletter & social networking site keeps members/ chapters connected and provides an avenue for sharing ideas (e.g., activities, fundraising, etc.)
- Members gain opportunities for networking both locally and nationally, as well as career building and mentorship