Join Sigma Phi Omega!
The International Academic Honor and Professional Society in Gerontology, created in 1980, recognizes excellence in gerontology and aging. SPO promotes scholarship, professionalism, friendship, and service to older persons!
Why become a member Of Sigma Phi Omega?
- Members associated with excellence in the field of aging
- Members identified (e.g., on resume, at graduation with medallion & cord) as having academic excellence
- Members provided with opportunities for leadership (e.g., board membership – local and national)
- Members provided with opportunities for additional recognition of academic excellence (via President’s Paper award)
- Members provided with opportunities for participation in and recognition of civic engagement (via volunteering, service projects, service-learning, association undergraduate and graduate service awards)
- Website and news updates keep members/ chapters connected and provide an avenue for sharing ideas (e.g., activities, fundraising, etc.)
- Members gain opportunities for networking both locally and nationally, as well as career building and mentorship
- Students can graduate with honors and the opportunity to purchase cords and medallions to wear with regalia at graduation