Dear SPO Friends,
I’m happy to share the latest Sigma Phi Omega news! First, some welcomes and farewells followed by social media and induction updates. Our Board Members will officially change-over on May 1st since we are unable to meet at SGS due to the COVID-19 situation.
We have just elected and appointed some new board members. We are so thrilled to have Mary Ann Erickson (Associate Professor of Gerontology at Ithaca College) move from her Member-at-Large position into our newly created Treasurer-Elect position. After one year she will step into the Treasurer Position for another two years.
We are happy to appoint Kara Dassel (Associate Professor of Gerontology in the College of Nursing at University of Utah) to our Secretary position. Kara will serve here two years and is replacing Brittany Kearney, who has been hired to be our Administrative Support Associate (more about that below).
Candace Brown (Assistant Professor of Gerontology in the Department of Public Health Sciences at UNC Charlotte) has been elected to serve a three year appointment as a Member-at-Large to our board. Welcome Dace!!
We are also happy to appoint Monica Gonzalez (USC Master of Aging Service Management Student and Senior Care Assistant) as Member-at-Large to replace Mary Ann Erickson as she moves to Treasurer-Elect. Welcome aboard Monica!
We are thrilled to welcome Brittany Kearney to our Administrative Support Associate position. Brittany has an MA in Gerontology and an MBA with a concentration in Healthcare Management. She has held multiple administrative positions in aging services and is currently the Director of Outreach and Enrollment at P.A.C.E. of the Southern Piedmont. She is a Certified Dementia Practitioner and professionally affiliates with FOCUS, SPO, and the Southern Gerontological Society.
I personally want to welcome Katarina Friberg Felsted to the President’s position as I rotate into Past-President. She has been by my side as President-Elect this year and I’m confident is ready to take the reins!
We share our heartfelt thanks to those who have served SPO over the last few years. Lori Yancura has served for three years as Member-at-large. We thank her for her many contributions to the Society. Amy Plant has served an appointment as our International and Virtual Representative. We thank her as well. Finally, Michelle Stanley was hired as our Membership Coordinator and was promoted to Administrative Support Associate. It is really impossible to thank her for her tireless efforts on behalf of the Society. She has been head trouble-shooter, master product distributor, and lead communicator for the Society and she will be missed. We wish her well as she continues her educational and professional pursuits!!
Social Media Updates:
We are increasing and changing our social media presence. We are moving our FaceBook Group to a FaceBook Page. We hope you will “like” us and follow along. We have also created an Instagram and Twitter feed. Likewise, please like, share, and follow along.
Induction season is in full swing:
Michelle has been filling orders like crazy!! We are thrilled that this represents the excellent work your students have completed in their gerontological studies. There is nothing better than a bright medallion, shiny pin, and dazzling cords on graduation day. Please let us know if you have questions about the process of inducting new members. The script to do so can be found by clicking here and scrolling down to “Chapter Induction Script.”
Finally, we are sorry to miss you all at the Southern Gerontological Society meetings. We will keep you up-to-date via our website, email, and social media outlets. Please like and follow along.
Be well and take care,
SPO President 2018-2020
Welcome to winter and the Holiday Season! Soon spring will arrive and our sights will turn to our gathering with the Southern Gerontological Society in Norfolk, Virginia. We have some exciting things planned for these meetings including:
- Recognizing our President’s Student Paper Award winner
- Recognizing our Service Project Award winner
- Recognizing our Video Award winner
- Saying thank you to outgoing board members
- Installing new board members
- Offering a workshop to answer all of your Sigma Phi Omega questions
SPO is pleased to let you know that both SPO Board Member Nominations and Award Nominations are now open.
SPO Board Nominations:
- We are searching for a Treasurer Elect, Secretary, and Member-at-Large. Information on Nominations can be found here: https://www.sigmaphiomega.org/board-nominations/
- Self-nominations are welcomed
- We seek energetic, creative and dedicated members for this working board.
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you might have.
- Nominations close on January 31st
- We have three excellent award opportunities this year and we hope you will consider nominating yourself/your chapter for one or more.
- Some include cash prizes!
- The SPO President’s Student Paper award is given to a student who submits a manuscript accepted for presentation at the Southern Gerontological Society meetings this spring. Students then submit their full paper to SPO for review. Students must let SGS know of their interest in being considered for this award. Contact SGS at email@example.com.
- The SPO Service Award is available as a way to recognize exceptional service to older adults.
- Back for a second time, the SPO Video Award will recognize outstanding visual efforts to inform about aging.
- Submission Information can be found here: https://www.sigmaphiomega.org/awards/
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you might have
- Nominations close on January 31st and awardees will be recognized at the spring Southern Gerontological Society meetings in Norfolk: https://www.southerngerontologicalsociety.org/meeting.html
So grab your SPO pin, pick up a member ribbon, and we will see you in Norfolk!
Cynthia Hancock, PhD
SPO President 2018-2020